Snow-covered rooftops are a common sight during Ontario’s long winters. However, when snow becomes compacted or turns to ice, it can lead to costly roof repairs in Toronto and many other areas across the province. As a home or business owners, it’s important to understand the types of damage that can occur from built up snow and ice and what you can do to prevent any issues from occurring.
Type of Damage Caused by Snow & Ice
When snow and ice accumulate on your roof, heavy ice dams can form. As the heat from your home rises, it will then cause the bottom layer of ice to melt. Because it has nowhere to go due to the snow covering it, the excess water will begin to saturate your roof and cause a leak.
Here are some of the signs that you might have an ice dam:
- Bent gutters—The eavestroughs on your home or business look like they are buckling under excess weight.
- Water stains or leaks—Water stains and drips on the ceiling are a sure sign that you have a leak coming from above.
- Jammed doors or windows—Door and window frames can become distorted when there is too much weight on the roof.
- Cracked walls—Cracked walls may indicate that the weight on the roof is putting pressure on the structure of your house, causing it to crack.
- Collapse—A collapse would be the worst-case scenario. If you do not recognize the early signs of stress on your roof caused by piling ice and snow, the weight may cause it to cave in. In this case, you must contact an emergency builder and roofer to take care of the damage and fix the problem. At Alpine Roofing, we provide emergency services all year long so you can be sure that we will be available to assist you in the cold winter months.
How Can I Prevent this Type of Damage?
There are a few things that you can do to prevent the winter weather from damaging your roof this year.
- Clean your eavestroughs—Make sure that they’re clean and in good condition, or have new ones installed before winter starts.
- Inspect your house regularly—Look for signs of structural damage such as cracks on interior and exterior walls.
- Remove excess snow—Call a professional snow removal company to remove the snow regularly from your roof and around your property. Doing so is much safer than doing it yourself, as they have the equipment to remove it without damaging your roof or getting themselves hurt in the process.
- Check the attic—Make sure that your attic is properly insulated and ventilated. Not only will this prevent ice dams from forming, but it will reduce your energy costs in the winter months as well.
Contact Us for Trusted Commercial & Residential Roofing in Toronto
Call Toronto’s most trusted residential roofing company, Alpine Roofing. With over 43 years in the business, we understand roofing and all of the nuisances that go with it. We’ve served thousands of satisfied customers in Mississauga, Toronto and all surrounding areas of the GTA.
Call us today for a free estimate or to book an appointment at 416-469-1939.